From The Blog
Consider Serving Your Community on the KICA Board
BOARD SERVICE | 2024 ELECTION | 3 OPEN SEATS
A community as vibrant and dynamic as Kiawah does not just happen. It is cultivated. It takes the involvement of community members and the collaboration of organizations like the community association, resort, town, conservancy, and developer to create and maintain this paradise. Dedicated stewards are the reason this community thrives.
The association’s board represents the interests of our diverse community, advocating on behalf of all members, and is charged with proactive leadership to uphold island property values. It takes a passion for Kiawah, dedication to hearing the diverse viewpoints of our membership, and creative critical thinking to find common ground.
On Wednesday, Oct. 25, the Kiawah Island Community Association opened the application for community members to serve on the board of directors. In the new year, the community will vote to elect three fellow members to represent their interests in the annual election (voting opens Jan. 15-Feb. 15, 2024) and the new board members will begin their terms in March 2024. Candidates must convey their intent to run for election, through submitting the form below, by Nov. 15 at noon.
All community association members are welcome to apply for board service. (Members must be in good standing with the association. Members are limited to two board service terms, with a minimum of two years in between terms.)
Of the three open director seats, two seats will serve a three-year term (2024-2027) and one seat will serve a two-year term (2024-2026). The two board candidates receiving the greatest number of votes in the election will receive the seats with a three-year term. The board candidate with the third highest votes will receive the two-year term.
Due to ambiguity in the by-laws, the KICA board met with their legal counsel on Oct. 20 and passed a board resolution, which is only applicable to the 2024 director election. The vote was 5-2, with directors DeStefano & Fernandez voting nay. Here is the board’s resolution.
Learn About Board Service
- Board Service Overview
- Fair Campaign Pledge
- Who Does What on Kiawah
- Policy Governance Guidelines
- KICA Finances
- Strategic Plan
Have questions? Reach out to a member of the Board Outreach and Education Committee.
- Wednesday, Oct. 25 at noon: Board candidate “Intent to Run” applications opens
- Tuesday, Oct. 31: Board Service Info Session – 10 a.m. session (virtual only)
- Wednesday, Nov. 1: Board Service Info Session – 5 p.m. session (virtual and Beachwalker Center)
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 at noon: Submission deadline for board candidate “Intent to Run”
- Friday, Nov. 17 at noon: Submission deadline for board candidate statements
- Friday, Dec. 1: Candidates’ required availability to record video interviews and take a headshot
- Jan. 15, 2024 at noon – Feb. 15, 2024 at noon: Director Election – Voting open
- Feb. 16, 2024: Election results announced
- Feb. 26, 2024: Directors-elect to attend board strategic planning retreat
- March 18, 2024: Directors-elect to attend KICA board meeting
- March 21, 2024: Directors-elect begin official service term (following the Annual Meeting)
Apply to Serve
All candidates interested in participating in the 2024 election must complete the Intent to Run for Election (form) and the Candidacy Statement (form).