From The Blog
Kiawah Will Close Gate Access for Commercial Vehicles on Wednesday at Noon
The Kiawah Island Community Association, Town of Kiawah Island and Charleston County Emergency Management officials are actively monitoring Hurricane Idalia.
A Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning, and Flood Warning have been issued to the southeastern South Carolina coastline. As a result, KICA will close the island to commercial access Wednesday, Aug 30 at 12 p.m. Commercial access will tentatively resume on Thursday, Aug. 31 at 12 p.m., but we will communicate again if reopening is delayed beyond noon.
Contractors are asked to secure their job sites prior to the closure. Construction sites are particularly vulnerable during tropical storms or hurricanes. Materials and debris can become projectiles in high winds and equipment can be lost or damaged. Preparation may include:
- Emptying or covering dumpster
- Securing all scaffolding
- Removing, or securing, all building materials and equipment
- Removing, or securing, construction equipment
- Postponing any scheduled material or equipment deliveries
- Alerting sub-contractors of their responsibility to secure or remove their materials or equipment
- Turning off power to any temporary electric service, circuit breakers, and/or homes under construction