annual-report

Click on an FAQ topic below to skip straight to that question.

Why are the Covenants important?

I share ownership of my property with one or more partners, family members or a corporation. How do I assure that each member receives member services?

Do I need to inform KICA of changes in ownership for my property?

How do I get a decal or pass for my personal use?

How do I get a gate pass for my family members, guests or service personnel?

How can I keep up with important news about KICA?

What are my assessments used for?

What is the Amenity Assessment?

What is the Sandcastle Community Center initiation fee?

When I bought my property I paid a Contribution to Reserves fee. What is that fee?

My property is in its own sub-association. What do I pay separate and additional assessments for that?

What does the Sandcastle Community Center have to offer, and how can I obtain my membership card?

Where can I launch or store my boat, or find crabbing and fishing sites?

Where can I park to visit the beach?

Which boardwalks/beach accesses provide access for disabled persons?

What do I need to know about landscaping my property?

How can I get my initial mailbox or have an existing one painted or repaired?

Where can I get a document notarized?

Why are the Covenants important?

During the closing process for your Kiawah property, you were given a set of Covenants that help govern Kiawah Island. (If you were not given this important document at closing, please contact a member services representative.) The Covenants, also called the governing documents, describe in great detail your rights and responsibilities (assessments, voting, etc.), as well as KICA’s rights, obligations and services. This welcome guide and a copy of our Rules and Regulations Handbook, a companion to the Covenants, should further assist you. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with these documents.

I share ownership of my property with one or more partners, family members or a corporation. How do I assure that each member receives member services?

Please complete the form entitled Joint-Owners of a Single Property found on our www.kica.us Website, provide the names and contact information for all members listed on a deed, partnership agreement, stock agreement or other legal ownership documentation. This is important because when you purchase property, your closing attorney, if local, will typically provide KICA with your ownership information. In many cases, they provide only the name of the first party listed on the deed (this becomes the primary member). In order for KICA to recognize all members, we must be informed that there is more than one owner of a property. Many new members provide a copy of their closing statements or deeds directly to KICA, but these typically contain address, phone and e-mail information. Attorneys unfamiliar with Kiawah may not send the documentation at all, making it all the more important that you contact us to verify your ownership records.

Do I need to inform KICA of changes in ownership for my property?

Yes. Changes in ownership could be affected by things like marriage, divorce, death, creation of a trust, LLC, addition of children to the deed, etc. Each member is responsible for informing KICA of such changes when they occur. In most cases, legal documentation verifying the change will be needed.

How do I get a decal or pass for my personal use?

Member barcodes may be obtained from a member services representative at the administrative office. Please submit a KICA Member Barcode Application/Record Update form. Copies of the form are in the administrative office or you may print a copy from the www.kica.us Website. You may bring your application and current registration(s) to the office, located at 23 Beachwalker Drive, or call toll free at
866-226-1770 or locally at 843-768-9194. You can also fax a copy of your vehicle registration or bill of sale (if the vehicle is new) to us at 843-768-4019.

A current barcode or property owner/guest pass is required for entry through the automatic security gate. Each member family (i.e., when a property is jointly owned) may receive up to three barcodes at no charge; each additional barcode is $25. The barcode allow you to access the automated gates at the main and Vanderhorst gates, as well as Rhett’s Bluff. Eligible vehicles must be registered in the name of the member.

If you drive a leased or company-owned vehicle, please provide a copy of the lease and a written verification from the company stating you are the sole driver of the company-owned vehicle. This statement must be on company letterhead and signed by a principal of the company. Dependent children (under 18 or full-time students under 23) of members may receive barcodes. Immediate family members and dependents who do not live full-time with the member may be issued a guest pass by calling the main gate at 843-768-5566. Barcodes will be issued to members with accounts in good standing. Please remember to remove the barcode should you sell, trade-in or transfer use of your vehicle, or are no longer a member. If you normally fly into Charleston and rent a car, you can be issued a paper pass by calling the main security gate at 843-768-5566.

How do I get a gate pass for my family members, guests or service personnel?

Since Kiawah Island is a private community, you will need to notify the main security gate when you are expecting service personnel or guests. We ask that you request your pass at least 24 hours in advance. Please call the main gate at 843-768-5566, toll free at 866-596-7184 or fax your request to 843-768-1670. Service personnel are required to have a TOKI business license to work on the island. This may be obtained by contacting the Town of Kiawah Island at 843-768-9166. Generally, service personnel may work Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Work is not permitted on Sundays or holidays.

Guest/visitor passes may be requested seven days a week by calling 843-768-5566 or faxing 843-768-1670. Please provide your name, address, telephone number, guest’s name, expected time of arrival and length of stay. You may also direct a letter containing this information to the Administrative Office, 23 Beachwalker Drive, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. For the protection of all members, please do not request a guest pass for your service personnel.

The following people may authorize personal guest access:

KICA members and family members (18 years and older) who reside with members, Long-term renters of nine months or more who have completed a lease and a KICA lease addendum (upon payment of a deposit), and Kiawah Island rental guests.

Personal guests of the above may not authorize access. Also, contractors and businesspersons who are not members may not authorize anyone on the island as a guest.

Service Personnel:

You may request service personnel passes by contacting the commercial pass office, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 843-768-8240. On weekends or after 3:30 p.m., please call the main gate at 843-768-5566 or fax to 843-768-1670. Please remember that the commercial pass office is only manned during the normal workweek, so if you need a weekend pass, please call or fax using the weekend/evening number.

How can I keep up with important news about KICA?

KICA provides several methods for members to stay informed like board actions, budgets, policies and events. Board meetings are held every other month, and are open to members.

For more information, visit the Stay Connected page.

What are my assessments used for?

Annual assessments are required by the Covenants and are levied against each member’s property in January. General assessments are used for the maintenance and operation of things like security, roads, leisure trails, landscaping and insurance, to name a few. The amenity assessment is for recreational operations. A segment assessment is applied to properties behind the second (Vanderhorst) security gate, and is used solely for the upkeep and operations of that gate. Members’ owning undeveloped properties pay half the amount a developed property is charged. Property status changes from undeveloped to developed at the time a building permit is issued, and the member is charged the difference at that time. Status change charges apply to the general assessment, amenity assessment, segment assessment, Sandcastle Community Center initiation fee, and the Contribution to Reserves fee. (Further information regarding assessments may be found in the Article V of the Community Association Covenants.)

What is the Amenity Assessment?

In the same way that the general assessment supports the common properties and is shared by all members, the amenity assessment is used solely for the maintenance and operations of the Sandcastle Community Center and swimming pool, whether or not one uses that facility. It is paid for in common by all members and contributes to the overall value of your property.

What is the Sandcastle Community Center initiation fee?

The Sandcastle Community Center initiation fee was approved by the membership in 1994 as a one-time per property special assessment to fund the construction of the Sandcastle Community Center, built in 1996. Since then, purchasers of properties which were not previously assessed (e.g. lots in new subdivision areas) are required to pay an amount equal to the amount of the current annual assessment. Again, if a building permit is taken out, the member will be billed for The Sandcastle Community Center from the prorated balance.

When I bought my property I paid a Contribution to Reserves fee. What is that?

The Contribution to Reserves fee is a fee paid at closing by the purchaser (applicable each time a property sells). For an improved or unimproved property, it is 0.50 percent of the sale price, or an amount equal to the current annual assessment, whichever is higher. This money is placed into KICA’s reserve funds. The money is regulated by the Covenants as to what it can be used for. These reserves can help with annual major projects or purchases.

My property is in its own sub-association. Why do I pay separate and additional assessments for that?

Villas, condominiums, and cottages are often referred to as “regimes” (a legal reference to the term used in the state’s “Horizontal Property Act” that guides condominiums). Several single-family home areas such as The Settlement, Turtle Beach and Ocean Oaks are also sub-associations. Each has its own board of directors and typically a management company and members of a regime are charged an assessment to cover facilities common only to that regime. These may vary among regimes, but might include things like insurance on the building and landscaping within the regime’s common properties. Your regime management company can provide specifics. Please refer to the separate list in this guide for contacts.

What does the Sandcastle Community Center have to offer, and how can I obtain my membership card?

The Sandcastle, opened in 1996, was planned and paid for by the members. The swimming pool and its related amenities were new in 2000. Renovations to the interior have been completed. With wonderful beach views, the Sandcastle is an attractive gathering place for individual and group activities. It is located at the end of Shipwatch Road, past the Straw Market. Access is restricted to KICA members and their authorized guests, identified by an ID tag (key fob) issued at the center. Each primary- member family may receive a pass by virtue of payment of the annual amenity assessment. Secondary members of a jointly-owned property may obtain a monthly or seasonal pass good for the entire dependent family, by payment of a nominal fee. Please contact the Sandcastle staff at 843-768-3875, or e-mail Sandcastle@kica.us for assistance.

The Sandcastle is open seven days a week with hours varying by season and holidays, but averaging 12- hours daily. The pool is open to members during the day, and pool attendants are on duty from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The Castle Grille operates at poolside for members’ enjoyment. The Sandcastle includes a library, lounge, meeting spaces, a catering kitchen, Internet facilities and a fitness facility. KICA members sponsor most events at the Sandcastle on a RSVP basis. However, there are a few activities open to all members. These include Memorial and Labor Day celebrations, and July 4th parties. Contact the Sandcastle for a listing of these events or visit KICA’s Website at www.kica.us.

Where can I launch or store my boat, or find crabbing and fishing sites?

The Rhett’s Bluff Boat Landing, located at the end of the Kiawah Island Parkway just through the Vanderhorst security gate, provides fine fishing and crabbing. Additionally, boats may be launched from the Rhett’s Bluff area as well as from Eagle Point in The Preserve; there are canoe and kayak storages at Cinder Creek Pavilion. Deposit and user fees are required for launches and/or canoe storage. Contact KICA accounting at 843-768-9194 or toll-free at 866-226-1770, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and during evenings and weekends, please contact the Sandcastle at 843-768-3875 for details. Please note the Rhett’s Bluff, Eagle Point, and Cinder Creek facilities are restricted to KICA members only. Your guests may gain access when accompanied by you. Some of the most popular areas for crabbing/fishing are The Preserve at Cinder Creek Pavilion Area, Willet Pond, Canvasback Pond, Pintail Pond and Ibis Pond.

**Please use care when crabbing, and do not feed the alligators. This causes them to lose their natural fear of humans and often necessitates their destruction.

KICA presently has no boat storage facilities, although KDP/KRA may, subject to space, fees and rules. Contact Kyle Hughey at 843-768-6515 or via e-mail at Kyle Hughey@kiawahisland.com.

Where can I park to visit the beach?

KICA provides several parking areas for our beach-going members: the Sandcastle Community Center parking lot, opposite the Beach Club on Ocean Marsh Drive, on Ocean Course Drive by the firehouse and behind the Ocean Course Club House. Some lots are restricted for member usage, and are not available for guests – please note the posted signage.

Which boardwalks/beach accesses provide access for disabled persons?

Ramps can be found on the boardwalks at the following locations:

Beachwalker County Park

Boardwalk:

1 Duneside Villas between 1119-1124 & 1110-1118
2 Duneside Villas between 1110-1118 & 1101-1109
5 East end of the former Kiawah Island Inn
7 Seascape Villas; between 3510-3521 & 3558-3553
8b Adjacent to east end of Sandcastle Community Center
10 Between 21 & 23 Eugenia
12 Between 41B & 43A Eugenia
13 Between 51 & 53 Eugenia
15 Between 69 & 71 Eugenia
18 Night Heron Park
22 Windswept Villas; 4408-4465 & 5101-5144
27 Turtle Point Villas; 5011-4959
30 Near 9 Nicklaus Ln & 100 Surfsong
31 Between 340 & 342 Surfsong
32 Between 54 & 57 Surfsong
33 Between 62 Surfsong & 71 Forestay
34 Between 75 Forestay & 88 Jackstay
38 Between 113 & 121 Flyway
40 Between 208 Sand Fiddler & 215 Ocean Marsh

What do I need to know about landscaping my property?

A copy of the Landscape Management Guidelines for Association Members is available here. The KICA Land and Lakes Committee, the Pride of Community Committee, the ARB, KICA biologists, horticulturists and agronomists, and the Kiawah Island Natural Habitat Conservancy are here for the purpose of protecting Kiawah’s natural habitat and for the education of sound environmental practices. KICA is a member of the National Wildlife Federation and is nearing competition of its goal to have the entire island certified as a habitat.

You may also contact the ARB at 843-768-3419, and the Kiawah Island Natural Habitat Conservancy 843-768-2029 directly for information. KINHC has an award-winning video available, as well as a document called Landscaping for the Legacy, which will provide vital information about living in harmony with our natural surroundings. Landscaping for the Legacy is available at the KINHC offices at 80 Kestrel Court or on their Website at www.kiawahconservancy.org.

How can I get my initial mailbox or have an existing one painted or repaired?

Mailboxes are located on KICA property, on the right-of-way in front of your home. Therefore, KICA provides routine mailbox maintenance, such as straightening, tightening, and painting mailboxes. Mailbox posts will be stained bi-annually. Member names can be added to the post (at no charge) by member request. Contact a member services representative for assistance at 843-768-9194.

If you need a new mailbox installed, as part of new home construction, KICA maintenance will handle the construction and installation for $250. It will take approximately 2 weeks to complete the installation process. For further information, please contact KICA maintenance at 843-768-2315.

Where can I get a document notarized?

Several KICA staff members are notaries and will gladly notarize your documents free of charge, upon presentation of identification. The Town of Kiawah also has notaries on staff. Notaries are available at 23 Beachwalker Drive, Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.