From The Blog
Resort Announces New Hotel, Additional Improvements
On March 21, Kiawah Island Golf Resort (KIGR) officially announced a series of major projects that will further enhance Kiawah Island, in particular continuing to revitalize and transform the West Beach area. The resort has broken ground on the first stage of redevelopment, which will continue through the end of 2020 and be completed in time for the PGA Championship in May 2021.
The projects consist of:
- A 150-room luxury beachfront hotel with dining, spa, retail and ballroom.
- A state-of-the-art conference center featuring a 10,529-square-foot core meeting space and 11 breakout rooms totaling 3,815 square feet.
- A new Cougar Point Clubhouse containing a full-service pro shop, a sports tavern, a bar and locker rooms.
- A new villa check-in.
- A 150-seat chapel connected to The Sanctuary hotel.
- Two two-story, four-bedroom rental cottages adjacent to The Ocean Course Clubhouse.
- Consolidation of all tennis programs at Roy Barth Tennis Center with 10 new Har-Tru HydroCourts and fully resurfaced existing courts, as well as the addition of locker rooms.
- A completely reimagined and enhanced Night Heron Park, with a new Nature Center, Pavilion, other activity spaces and dining, including the relocation of The Town Center Market.
“These developments mark an exciting chapter in Kiawah Island Golf Resort’s notable history,” said KIGR President Roger Warren. “The developments will completely revitalize the West Beach area, which formed the nucleus of the resort when it was first developed in 1976, but it will also enhance and complement the world-class facilities, amenities and programs that Kiawah has been proud to offer its guests over the past decades.”
The West Beach Village buildings and The Ocean Course Cottages are designed by the world-renowned Robert A.M. Stern Architects of New York and New Haven. The Sanctuary Chapel and Night Heron Park projects are designed by award-winning architectural firms SMH a of Mount Pleasant, SC. Interior design is by Kent Interior Design of Atlanta. The general contractor is Choate Construction Company, managed from its Charleston offices.
The projects will break ground in spring and summer of 2018 with projected completion dates as follows (subject to change):
- Roy Barth Tennis Center – Fall 2018
- Cougar Point Clubhouse and The Ocean Course Cottages – Spring 2019
- Sanctuary Chapel – Summer 2019
- West Beach Village Conference Center and Villa Check-in – Fall 2019
- New Boutique Hotel – Fall 2020
- Night Heron Park – Winter 2020
For more information and updates regarding these projects, and visit kiawahresort.com.