From The Blog
KICA’s ‘Around Kiawah’ Discussion List – How it Works
What is Around Kiawah?
An unmoderated member-to-member discussion list for Kiawah property owners to share information with and ask questions of each other.
Four Discussion Boards
Around Kiawah offers four lists. Members can subscribe to categories that interest them. You can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
- Property Services
How to Use ‘Around Kiawah’
Subscribe : Complete the online form at kica.us/around-kiawah/
Use: Once you’ve been subscribed to the list, you will receive replies directly to your email inbox.
Unsubscribe: Click on the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of any list message.
Contact: [email protected]
View Archives: http://aroundkiawah.simplelists.com/CATEGORYNAME
How to Post a Message
Send an email, with a clear and concise subject line, to the appropriate list address below, and sign your email with your name and Kiawah property address.
- Discussion – [email protected]
- Events – [email protected]
- Property Services – [email protected]
- Classifieds – [email protected]
Here are some examples to post to categories:
Email posts for help wanted, for sale, in search of, to [email protected].
SUBJECT – For sale: Men’s golf clubs, good condition.
I have a full set of men’s golf clubs for sale. They are only three years old and are in good condition. $150 for the entire set. See the attached picture. If interested, email me at [email protected].
123 Kiawah Drive
Email posts for questions pertaining to your property to [email protected]
SUBJECT – Can anyone recommend a reliable handyman?
In need of an affordable, reliable and honest handyman for some minor upgrades to the interior of my home. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
123 Kiawah Drive
Email posts for topics of discussion to [email protected]
SUBJECT – Resort Question
Who can I contact to find out about the work occurring at the resort?
123 Kiawah Drive
Email posts to announce events on or benefitting Kiawah or Sea Island fundraisers to [email protected]
SUBJECT – Topic for Next Our World?
Does anyone know the topic for the next Our World meeting? Thanks!
123 Kiawah Drive
When posting to the categories, please respect your fellow members’ privacy, and do not copy, blind copy or forward emails to others, as personal email addresses will be visible. You may instead invite others to subscribe and be verified.
How Categories Work
If you are subscribed to one category not the others, you will only receive information from the categories you are subscribed to. To add additional categories later, use the form at kica.us/around-kiawah
You may unsubscribe by following the link at the bottom of the post from the category you wish to unsubscribe from.
While some questions might cross categories, it is important that you use the best match. For example, if you post a zoning topic which should be in “discussion” in the “events” category, your neighbors who only want event news may receive dozens of emails that they are not interested in. Posting an event under home services, others who may be interested will never know about it.
KICA does not have the ability to remove or recategorize posts once they have been submitted.
If you need an answer to a business or process question, don’t post it. Around Kiawah is periodically reviewed but not regularly monitored. Instead, call KICA at 843-768-9194, toll free at 866-226-1770 or email [email protected].
Changing Delivery Format from Individual Emails or Daily Summaries
To change your Around Kiawah method of delivery (individual or daily summary emails) after your initial selection, email [email protected]
Finding Past Topics
All past messages to a given category are saved in an online archive. To access the archive, visit http://aroundkiawah.simplelists.com/CATEGORYNAME. Where we have CATEGORYNAME, add in the category you would like to view (classifieds, events, property services, discussion).
Who Can Read Around Kiawah Postings?
KICA will accept subscriptions from KICA members in good standing, island officials and key island employees. All subscribers can read your posts. Subscribers are welcome to share updates with us at [email protected].
Attaching Images and Files
You can attach images and files to your postings. Be sure to double check your file name before uploading any photos you may not want your neighbors to see. Be sure you have the authority to use a photo, as copyright laws may apply.
Reporting Inappropriate Postings
Email [email protected], or call us directly at 843-768-9194. If it is a serious issue outside office hours, contact Security at 843-768-5566.
By subscribing to and/or using the Around Kiawah service, you agree that you have read and will comply with all conditions. KICA reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or terminate the listserv, or subscriptions to it.
Keep it Civil
- Discuss the issues, not personalities or your opinion of a person’s or organization’s motives. Discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation, not to challenge or attack others. Allow others to have their say, just as you may.
- Do not post content that doesn’t belong to you. The posting of content generated by others is only allowed with express permission. Do not post the email or street addresses of others without permission (with the exception of businesses).
- Malicious, defamatory, and other inappropriate content is strictly prohibited. Subscribers may be suspended or removed entirely at KICA’s discretion. We have a zero tolerance policy for profanity, ethnic slurs, personal insults and other disparaging content. Such posts will result in permanent removal.
- Speculation is not knowledge. Research the facts before hitting the keyboard.
- Is it factual? Is it fair? Would you say it to your neighbor’s face? Are you angry? Consider sleeping on it before posting.
- Subscribers are solely responsible for information and content you post on the listserv and shall hold KICA harmless for their postings.
- Use discretion when discussing products, service providers and others in general.
- Information you post on the list is subject to libel, defamation, antitrust, privacy and all other laws. We encourage the sharing of positive experiences. If you had a not-so-positive experience, contact the poster directly. You’ll be able to see their email address in their original post.
Keep it Real
- We will verify all list subscribers to ensure they are Kiawah Island property owners. If we can’t verify you, you won’t be subscribed.
- Include your first and last name and Kiawah address on every message. Repeated failure to do so will result in suspension or removal.
- Don’t post the same message across different categories.
Be Smart and Be Safe
- We recommend that you do not post your phone number. If you want to connect with someone at your property, email them privately to exchange details and consider meeting in a public place.
- Members should always personally vet service providers for their qualifications, licensing, permitting, etc. Around Kiawah (and/or online referral directory) may be a helpful starting point or resource for identifying prospective providers, but you should perform due diligence separately and make your own independent, informed decision when selecting and hiring a service provider.
- Subscribers must be current Kiawah property owners or approved officials. Heard that someone moved? Let us know at [email protected].
- Change the subject line when introducing a new topic. It allows your neighbors to scroll over posts in which they have no interest.
- Don’t clog the list with “thank you’s” and “me too” messages.
- Only send a message to the list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from. Otherwise, reply directly.
- If you change your email address, unsubscribe your old address, and resubscribe with your new address.
- When providing service referrals, include as much information as possible. In particular, try to provide the business name, rather than just the contact or owner. Contractors are subject to all local, state, federal and KICA statutes/regulations.
- Don’t promote a personal business, service or product, or that of a family member, excluding nonprofessional services such as babysitters, pet sitters, etc.
- Subscribers may inquire about rentals for their own use, and may receive replies, or for sale by owner. Otherwise, property rentals and sales may not be listed.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me.” Use the unsubscribe option seen at the bottom of each list post instead, or, for a KICA business question, email [email protected].
KICA is not responsible for dropped posts and is unable to respond to maintenance-type inquiries. Accessing the internet involves variables too numerous for KICA to investigate, such as specs of your internet service provider (e.g., Comcast), your email client (e.g., AOL, Yahoo, Google), the settings on your personal computer, etc.
Most email clients allow you to create folders to sort email. We recommend this choice if you find your inbox is too crowded.
If you mark an email as spam, the listserv will automatically unsubscribe you and you will stop receiving posts. This is not within KICA’s control.
KICA does not control and assumes no legal or editorial responsibility for any content distributed through Around Kiawah. Content is generated by individual subscribers, who each bear responsibility for their individual postings. Content posted is automatically distributed to all subscribers; KICA cannot retrace or modify any such content.
KICA does not actively monitor Around Kiawah for inappropriate postings and does not undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event any inappropriate posting is brought to KICA’s attention, we will take all appropriate action.
KICA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these conditions.
By participating in this listserv, you acknowledge and agree that KICA:
- Accepts no responsibility for the messages or information members post and read on the list and you agree to waive any claims against KICA relative to this listserv. Postings and content on the list are strictly the views and opinions of the writers, not KICA, and may or may not be factual or correct. Although KICA reserves the right to remove messages or information from the archive site in its sole discretion, KICA is under no obligation to do so.
- Has no responsibility for the quality of services of any provider.
- Will not intervene in or attempt to resolve any dispute between members, organizations or service providers.
- Disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted, whether posted by the association or any other party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness.
- Shall not under any circumstances be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use of this listserv or the accuracy or performance of any information posted on this site, including, without limitation, personal injuries or property damage, loss-of-use, lost data, or damage to reputation.
- Is subject to system maintenance by its ISP provider, which can impact the listserv.
- Reserves the right in its sole discretion, without notice, to terminate the listserv at any time.
- Is not responsible for technical issues such as the loss of email, failure of email to process through the list, computer viruses, etc.
- Is not responsible for property damage or personal injuries caused directly or indirectly by this listserv.
Publication date: March 2018